John is an experienced litigator, specializing in high conflict or complex cases. He primarily takes cases in Dakota and Scott Counties. John represents clients in dissolution of marriage, paternity, custody, maintenance and child support proceedings. He has significant experience in the Court of Appeals.
John is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association and the First District Bar Association, where he is past President and currently serves on the District Ethics Committee. He is also a member of the Dakota County Bar Association, where he serves on the Board of Directors and is the past President. Numerous recognitions have been awarded to John such as the Dakota County Heroes Award, Super Lawyer, the BV-distinguished rating, and Who’s Who in Family Law.
He graduated from Minnesota State University, Mankato with majors in History and Political Science while also playing on the football team. John received his law degree from the Indiana University School of Law where he graduated cum laude. While there he competed in moot court competitions, receiving the highest score at the national level. He served as a law clerk at the Indiana Supreme Court before returning to Minnesota to join a group practice in 1992. Since then, he has established himself with the bench and bar in Dakota and Scott Counties after opening his private practice in 1994. He has written several articles and teaches continuing education courses to attorneys on a variety of family law topics. John has completed the Hawaii Ironman and the Boston Marathon. He enjoys coaching youth sports, particularly football and basketball.
Areas of Practice:
- Family Law
- U.S. District Court, 1993
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana, 1992
J.D., cum laude
- Minnesota State University, Mankato, MN, 1989
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Dakota County Bar Association
Board of Directors; Past President
- 1st District Bar Association
Past President; Ethics Committee
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Legal Assistance of Dakota County, Board of Directors
- Qualified arbitrator/mediator of family matters under General Rule of Practice 114
- Super Lawyer, Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine, top 5% of the profession
- Martindale Hubbell’s “BV Distinguished” peer review rating
- Who’s Who in Family Law
- Dakota County Heroes Award