Trials

Minneapolis Family Law Lawyer | Trial Attorney

If the parties in a family law case can’t settle all of the issues, the case moves on to trial. Nowadays, this isn’t common. Only 5% of family law cases make it to the trial phase because the other 95% are able to use alternative dispute resolution (ADR) to find common ground in an effort to avoid trial. Nonetheless, there are those times when a trial is impossible to avoid and that means your Minneapolis family lawyer assumes a role that is much greater than the guide and advisor they are throughout the ADR process – they become your trial lawyer.

Effective Representation In Family Court

In a family law trial, evidence is presented and witness testimony may occur. Usually, these trials are heard by a judge only, which classifies them as “bench trials.” Divorce cases that go to court are bench trials.

When the evidence is provided and the witnesses testify, this is done by each side to give the judge the information he or she needs to make decisions. These decisions can include custody of children, distribution of asset and debts, child support, visitation, spousal support, and other matters that come about that the parties are unable to agree on.

Regardless of the issue, the presentation of evidence and witness testimony must follow a formal procedure. The judge can only consider evidence that follows the rules. The judge is also not allowed to aid parties representing themselves in settling the matter. Settlement is done through mediation outside of the courtroom, which can prevent the judge from having to make decisions for the parties. Instead, the parties decide on their own. Parties that have attorneys representing them have their legal counsel guiding them through the entire trial, advocating for the best result.

Continued Guidance After Trial

After the trial is over, the judge has 90 days to make a decision on the dispute. When the judge makes his or her decision, they issue a judgment decree. In a divorce case, this decree is the divorce decree.

Once the judge’s decision is entered, each party has 60 days to appeal if they don’t agree with the decision. If you decide you want to appeal, you can let your Minneapolis family lawyer know as soon as possible so the paperwork can be filed.

Representation You Can Trust

While trial can be difficult, Mr. Burns will work hard for you throughout the process. The goal is to achieve the best possible outcome so you can move forward with your life. You are also forming a relationship because, if you would have to revisit the decree in the future to do such things as modify spousal support or child support, Mr. Burns will be there to help you every step of the way.

Contact A Minneapolis Family Law Lawyer

A family legal matter going to trial is difficult because it means a judge will decide the fate of both parties instead of the parties deciding for themselves. This is why solid trial representation is needed throughout the entire process. At the Burns Law Office, John Burns is ready to provide you with the guidance and representation that you need in your case. To learn more, call the Burns Law Office at 952-898-6834 to request a free consultation.

CONCENTRATING ON FAMILY LAW.

FACILITATING POSITIVE, SUSTAINABLE OUTCOMES.

(952) 898-6834