Born and raised in Bloomington, MN, John T. Burns Jr. is an experienced litigator focusing on high-conflict and complex cases. John primarily takes cases in Dakota, Scott, Hennepin, Ramsey, Washington, and Carver counties but takes cases throughout the state. John represents clients in a wide range of family law matters, including but not limited to divorce, paternity, custody, maintenance, and child support proceedings. He also has significant experience in the Court of Appeals. He has successfully argued over 60 cases to the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the Minnesota Supreme Court and has handled countless motions, trials, and contested matters in district court.
John is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association and the First District Bar Association, where he is past President and currently serves on the District Ethics Committee. He is also a member of the Dakota County Bar Association, where he serves on the Board of Directors and is the past President. He has been recognized with numerous awards, including the Dakota County Heroes Award, Super Lawyers®, the Martindale-Hubbell® BV Distinguished® Rating, and Who’s Who in Family Law.
John graduated from Minnesota State University, Mankato with majors in History and Political Science while also playing on the football team. John received his law degree from the Indiana University School of Law where he graduated cum laude. While there, he competed in moot court competitions, receiving the highest score at the national level. He served as a law clerk at the Indiana Supreme Court before returning to Minnesota to join a group practice in 1992.
In 1994, John opened his private practice in Burnsville, where he has remained for over 20 years. During this time, John has established himself with the bench and bar throughout the state. He has written several articles and teaches continuing education courses to attorneys on a variety of family law topics.
Outside of work, John enjoys traveling and perfecting his chili recipe. He has completed dozens of marathons and triathlons, including the Hawaii Ironman and the Boston Marathon. He also enjoys coaching youth sports, particularly football and basketball.
Areas of Practice
- U.S. District Court, 1993
- Minnesota, 1992
- Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis, Indiana, 1992
- Minnesota State University, Mankato, MN, 1989
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Dakota County Bar Association
- Board of Directors; Past President
- 1st District Bar Association
- Past President; Ethics Committee
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Legal Assistance of Dakota County, Board of Directors
- Qualified arbitrator/mediator of family matters under General Rule of Practice 114
- Lawyers of Distinction- national award, "Recognizing Excellence in Appellate Law”
- National Academy of Family Law Attorneys Top Ten Ranking award
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys- Nationally ranked top ten attorney award
- The National Advocates- Top 100 Lawyers award
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers®, top 5% of the profession
- Who’s Who in Family Law
- Martindale-Hubbell® BV Distinguished® Rating, “Very High Legal Ability & Ethical Standards."
- Avvo Client Choice award
- Dakota County Heroes Award